Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I'm Not Irish...




Yesterday was St. Patrick's Day! Happy St. Patty's Day to all you Irish-folks! As far as I know, I'm not one of them. Hard as it is to tell by looking at me, I'm a full-quarter Slav (Serbian AND Croatian), and three-quarters good old American Anglo mutt. I think German and Welsh comprise the majority of my remaining lineage but Mommy doesn't know a whole lot about Daddy's heritage other than the family surnames, which according to the Internet, are German. But there is a McDermott in there, and is McAnything Irish?
I DO know that on my Mommy's Duda's side we can trace his American family all the way back to the Civil War and maybe even further than that! You can Google my great-great-great-great-great-great Grandpa Prettyman Jones III who fought in the Civil War first for the South, and then when it looked like they were going to lose, he switched sides and fought for the North! He was from Tennessee, the Volunteer State, which according to my Uncle Dan makes him neither a true Southerner, nor a true Yankee. Turns out, living in Louisville, Kentucky presents the same debate. Am I really a Southerner or am I a Yankee? Or am I the Southern-most Yankee, or the Northern-most Southerner? It's all very confusing.
Obviously Daddy is a true Yankee. He hails from Ohio and my Grandma and Grandpa from New York State. Definitely Yanks.
Now, Mommy was born in Michigan which is even further north than Ohio, and my Babi and Duda both were born there too so again, Yanks! And if you really want to get on Mommy's nerves, tell her she's from Troy, Ohio because she went to high school there. Never mind she only lived there for 7 years of her life people still TELL her that's where she's from, and Mommy finds it ironic that anyone else could tell her where she's from. If you ask Mommy, she'll tell you she's a Midwesterner and then go on to explain how she's lived in 8 different states and 14 different cities (and counting!) Just ask...but make sure you have some extra time on your hands.
Since I do know I'm not Irish but still think St. Patty's day is fun, Mommy made Green Guacamole, and we had Green Guacamole which neither represents Ireland nor my heritage. It's just good to eat.
Love,
Lilly

No comments:

Apple Picking at Skytop

 Apple picking at Skytop has got to be one of my most favorite Fall family traditions.  It is so beautiful, it is so fun, and apples for w...