Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Open Letter to Lauren - and All My "Working" Mama Friends

Well, this would be kind of weird if I wrote it from Lilly's perspective, so I'm writing it from my own today. 
I got a note from my friend Lauren last night:
"Kristen.. I need some kind of funny pep talk right now... 2nd week of FT work at a place I am loving... kids are happy where they are... just so emotional, it's a huge transition!"
Indeed - and therein lies the problem, right?!  Lauren started a new job that she loves, and her kids are happy and yet still she feels guilty!  Of course I responded with my requisite: "Go buy something to make yourself feel better" but I haven't stopped thinking about you all day, Lauren, and it got me to thinking about all my other Mommy friends, too.  So, I feel compelled to give you the funny pep talk you are looking for (and raise my own spirits while I'm at it).
This morning, like every other morning, was a frenzied attempt at waking myself up (next to sleeping Lilly who woke up screaming twice in the middle of the night and eventually made her way to our bed), getting showered/dressed - Oh!  There's Anna, got to run upstairs and get her, change her diaper, warm her milk - crap!  Forgot her blankets, her lovey - wait...why won't she stop crying?  Now she's screaming.  Lilly's up, wants to watch TV, get her milk, can she have a banana?  Not that banana - it's green.  How about grapes instead?  Hair's still wet, I'm not wearing any clothes, the windows are open, better get dressed.  Why won't Anna stop crying?  Pick up Anna, hold her, screaming, kicking, crying - how did it get to be 8:15?  Got to be at work by 9:00!  Go upstairs, get clothes for girls, Lilly doesn't want to wear these pants today, go get different pants, still don't have my own pants on and on and on and on and on...
Flash forward its 9:03 I'm pulling up into Mary Lou's driveway (finally), phone rings, it's my boss: "Are you coming in to the office today?"  Is this a rhetorical question? I want to ask...  Anna is still screaming, I get the girls to Mary Lou's (screaming instantly ceases) get in the car, gas tank is empty, arrive at work, 23 minutes late.
I am going to kick ass while I'm at work today, (I actually *gasp* love what I do as well), try to make up for lost time by skipping lunch (again), call Mary Lou to check on Anna, schedule their Dr's appointments (18 month and 3 year check ups!), go home get dinner ready, fold and put away laundry, play with kids, clean up afterwards, do the whole 2 hour bedtime thing, get everything ready for tomorrow, somehow find time in my day to be/do the following to my kids and family: teacher, mediator, financial planner, personal shopper, short order cook, housecleaner, musician, good wife, loving mom, involved mom, community volunteer, committee member, party planner, etc. and oh by the way: I have to LOOK good and I CAN'T COMPLAIN!
I think of all the amazing Mommy's I know.  My friend Kelly, mommy to Maxwell, who accepted an award yesterday on behalf of her organization and the work she and they do to promote the well being and recovery of breast cancer survivors; my friend Tiffany, mommy to Olivia and Luke, who is working towards her PhD in nursing while she works full time, teaches and has a husband in an ER residency; my friend Becky, mommy to Nate and Maddy, who manages a major shopping center and her own successful side business she started just 6 months ago; Kimberly, mommy to Marina and Ambrielle who manages a household on one income, every daily activity planned to the minute, and her kids never want for anything.  I could go on and on but you get the idea.  These and all my other mommy friends are mommies I am so proud to know and lucky to be associated with.  Whether we stay at home or leave every day we are all working Mommies and we are all AMAZING.  And, we shouldn't feel bad!
Hillary Clinton said a few years ago, "It takes a village."  And how!  And you know, working outside of my home makes me a better person (because I enjoy it), more fulfilled, it is helping my family secure a better future for my kids, and I am setting a good example to my daughters.  My kids get more out of being with Mary Lou four days a week than they would if they were with me.  That's not to say your kids would get more out of being with Mary Lou, you know what's best for your kids and if your new job is one you love, and your kids are happy - I say, celebrate!
Go buy yourself something!  :)
I know this is long winded, Lauren and girls, but I love you all and I for one appreciate the sacrifices you make on a daily/hourly basis and along with your family you've got someone in your corner.  Me!
Love,
Kristen

No comments:

Apple Picking at Skytop

 Apple picking at Skytop has got to be one of my most favorite Fall family traditions.  It is so beautiful, it is so fun, and apples for w...