Saturday, June 26, 2010

I Just Wanted...

Last night we went to a good ol' Catholic festival - just like the kind Daddy used to go to every year as a kid.  Daddy LOVED this festival.  Mommy loved how Catholics are cool with drinking, smoking and gambling but you're not allowed to have sex on birth control.  Whatever!  So anyway we got to ride some good old carnie rides (complete with creepy carnies) play some good old fashioned gambling games, see a kid get arrested and spit in an officer's face (not smart, kid) but the BEST part of the night was WINNING A CAKE!
See, what you do is you put dimes on numbers, they spin a wheel, and if your number wins - you get to go inside the church into what Mommy deemed was "cake heaven" and pick out any old cake you want.  I wish you could have seen Mommy's face in this room.  Mommy has been eating low sugar/low carbs and we all know cakes are neither but they sure.  are.  delicious.  Even better when some little old church lady makes them from scratch right in her kitchen.  Mommy and Daddy (fools) both left to look for the cakes and I decided to pull what I wanted right from the table.
I said, "I want this!"
All the little old bitties started laughing.  Mommy gasped, she thought I'd ruined the cake, and you see, I didn't grab a strawberry cake like she wanted.  But Mommy said, "Well, okay honey if that's what you want..."
Then Mommy got, THE FACE.  The sad, pouty, forlorn face I've recently mastered and I said, real smallish, "I just wanted those...I want the cupcakes.  With the sprinkles."  Then the tears came on deck, flooded my little eyes without falling and then EVERYONE stared at Mommy. 
Mommy said, "I know honey, that's fine we can get the cupcakes."
I said, "Mommy, you wanted the strawberry cake.  But I just wanted the cupcakes.  With sprinkles." 
Daddy glared at Mommy, like How dare you, Mommy?  How dare you make poor little precocious Lilly feel bad for wanting cupcakes?
Then Mommy actually FELT BAD!  And, for what?  For wanting strawberry cake!
Mommy realized, in this moment, that from now on, forever more, it doesn't matter what SHE wants at all.  When you are busy raising two little princesses, all you get is what they want.  Forever.  And ever.
Love,
Princess Lilly and Princess-In-Training Anna

No comments:

Apple Picking at Skytop

 Apple picking at Skytop has got to be one of my most favorite Fall family traditions.  It is so beautiful, it is so fun, and apples for w...