Saturday, June 25, 2011

Big Money!


This morning when I crawled into bed with Daddy he said, “Lilly, last night I had graduation for my residency. It was fun. But I think I was so consumed by my narcissism that I forgot to thank the people that really got me to where I am.”
So I said, “I can help, Daddy. Most of your friends read my blog, so why don’t you tell me what you want to say and I’ll let them know.”
And so we sat down, and he told me about everyone one that was important to him.
He said, “I want to thank:
-Mom for turning the TV off and reading to me. For giving me the tools to expand my intellect throughout my childhood. For continuing to do the loving, caring, amazing things that perfect mothers do, even though I’m 34 years old.
-Dad, for teaching me about work ethic and humility, for giving me an outlet when things got tough, for golf, football, laughter, and story telling.
-Ginnie, for involving herself in my life and continuing to care despite the fact that I will never move to Columbus.
-Dad Brent, for treating me like a son, which usually involves golf, sports, or laughter, but also involves important moments of necessary advice.
-Mom Jan, for treating me like a son, which involves taking care of me when I’m broken and helping me when I'm down.
-Thanks to all of these grandparents for helping Kristen and I out many, many times when we needed a break. It is wonderful that they have such loving, involved grandparents.
-Sean, who inspired me to be better, and created elaborate outlets to get me away from the stresses of life.
-Matt, who created multiple memories of laughter along the way, who is also inspired me with his creation of a lawncare company.
-Tracey, who kept me grounded and made sure I didn’t lose sight of what was really important, who provided me with countless free sessions of therapy.
-Thanks to all of you for understanding why I have missed out on many events. Thanks to being the best family that any brother could hope for. 
-Mark , who makes me laugh.
-Dan, who makes me think.
-Kimmie, who makes me smile.
-The three of you for accepting me into your family, despite my flaws.
-Anna and Lilly, for forgetting how much I missed out on while I was working. Every day I came home and you would run up and hug me made all the stress of work disappear.
-And, most importantly, thanks for Kristen. Without her, I would not be who I am today. When I was busy, she was a single parent. When I was broken, she reminded me that what I was doing was important. When I was tired, she let me sleep. When I was sad, she made me laugh. When I did well, she congratulated me. He love, energy, generosity, and humor, got us to the end of this tunnel.
I am lucky…I love my wife, my job, I have a wonderful family, and I have great friends.
Thanks to you all. 
Joe"
And then Daddy drank another beer. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had some misty eyes at graduation.
The excellent blog brought the tears.
Nice going Doctor Joe
Love
Dad...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Dr. Joe! We are so proud of you and all you have accomplished. Your future is bright, your family is growing in love and now you can relax (just a little bit). We are just glad that we live close to see and enjoy every aspect of your lives! Now...have a cold one and enjoy this beautiful day!!!

We love you

Mom and Dad Bunnell

tracey said...

Who said those were free sessions? I was just waiting til you were making the big bucks so I could bill you properly. :) But really, it's been so incredible to see my irresponsible, goofy little brother grow up into a brilliant, kind, hard-working, goofy doctor. And to see you loving what you do so much is really wonderful. Way to go. I love you. Tracey

Apple Picking at Skytop

 Apple picking at Skytop has got to be one of my most favorite Fall family traditions.  It is so beautiful, it is so fun, and apples for w...