Monday, April 28, 2014

Ripple



These kids...
Since you all were born I've been singing to you the same bedtime lullaby, Ripple (by the Grateful Dead, yes).  I knew before I even had you I would sing you to sleep with the song (just ask any of my college roommates - I never even liked the Grateful Dead but I've always loved the song).  I just knew. It's the perfect song for babies you love, that you know will grow up to live their own lives some day.  It's just...perfect.  Just like you three.
Tonight Jack screamed (I mean you SCREAMED) when we put you to bed.  I couldn't stand it anymore so I went up to get you.  You were standing in your crib holding on to both of your Clifford dogs.  As soon as I opened the door you were quiet, you just needed love.  So I picked you up and went to the rocking chair - the same rocking chair I rocked you all in from the day you were born - and started singing Ripple to you.  I have sang this song so many times I don't even think about it anymore - I know every word without even thinking about it.
Then, quietly I hear...
"La da da da, la da da daaa da, la da da, da da, la da, da da..."
My babies aren't babies anymore.  You're kids.  Wonderful, sweet, healthy kids and I love you all so much.
Tonight, Anna Jane - you read your first book out loud to us (with NO HELP!), Lilly you're going to sleep fretting about your dentist appointment tomorrow (to get your first cavities filled), and Jack - you sang to me.
I sure am going to miss having babies - but I sure am loving having kids.  I love you three.  Maybe someday when you grow up, you'll let me sing Ripple to your babies, too.
Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Apple Picking at Skytop

 Apple picking at Skytop has got to be one of my most favorite Fall family traditions.  It is so beautiful, it is so fun, and apples for w...