Monday, August 21, 2017

Total Eclipse of the Sun

Today we got to witness what might be the COOLEST most THRILLING natural event of our lives - and we did it with Ollie and Vivienne, too!  Greenville was in the path of totality for the eclipse - the first of it's kind in 99 years passing the entire continental US.  Ollie and Vivienne came all the way down from Durham to watch it with us and it was amazing.   It's hard to put into words the experience, I'm just so glad we all got to share it.  When it was over Lilly said, "I will remember this for the rest of my life." and I hope she does.
We set up a little station in the backyard and laid on a blanket while we waited for the moon to pass.  As the moon passed over we could see shadows changing on the ground to these little crescent moons.  Just when it was about 85% over the sun we heard crickets start chirping, saw about 8 bats fly above, saw two twinkling stars in the sky, felt the temperature drop (from 94 degrees!!!), to DARKNESS!  Like, 9:00 pm darkness at 2:38 in the afternoon!  It only lasted 2 minutes, it went so fast!  I got so excited I started screaming and clapping like I was at a football game.  I had no idea how amazing it was going to be.  Really special and a memory that will last a lifetime!
In seven years it will be passing right over our family cottage in Upstate NY on April 8 - just in time for Anna Jane's 15th birthday!  Road trip, anyone?
XOXO
Mommy















No comments:

Apple Picking at Skytop

 Apple picking at Skytop has got to be one of my most favorite Fall family traditions.  It is so beautiful, it is so fun, and apples for w...