Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

I've learned a lot of things in 3 1/2 years of being a mother.  Many things I've shared with you all right here on this blog.  But, the most important thing of all my kids have taught me so far is: it isn't as easy as it looks.  I mean everything.  All of this Mom stuff carries a weight I could never have even begun to imagine.  No matter how innocuous or inane I think a decision I make might be, it could be the one thing costing my kids thousands of dollars in therapy 20 years down the road ("She made me eat TUNA!" "You should have SEEN the clothes she put us in!" "I was forced to wear hand me downs my whole life - my little sister's hand me downs!").  I don't know, I won't know until it's too late and my kids can count all the ways I screwed up as their Mother.  If I don't get anything else right as a Mom, as long as I live, so long as I do this ONE THING for them - the ONE THING I know Moms the world over do day in and day out - the ONE THING I know my Mom did and still does, her Mom, Mama J, Grammy, every Mom I've personally ever met and loved, if I only get ONE THING right for my kids it's this:
I try, girls.  I really, really try.
And of course, I love you both more than any word in the world can begin to describe and I love, love, love being your Mommy.
Thank you for the privilege - and the gamble.  And Moms, thank YOU for everything.  Even the screw ups.
Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Apple Picking at Skytop

 Apple picking at Skytop has got to be one of my most favorite Fall family traditions.  It is so beautiful, it is so fun, and apples for w...